Saturday, December 4, 2010

10 never bought iPhone applications

 

I have an iPod Touch which is pretty similar with iPhone except the call features so when I say iPhone apps I will refer to iPod Touch apps as well.

Being for so much time interested in iPhone apps I’ve got already a pretty good idea of what apps deserves attention and who doesn’t. I tested a lot of iPhone apps to get a good approach to them. Of course is a matter of personal preferences but at least for the newbies this article will help to decide what to buy.

1. First type of apps which I find really useless is “To Do’s” / “Tasks” apps. Is not that I don’t find interesting the way you can schedule your daily tasks but since iPhone is already giving you the chance to add “to do’s” within it’s calendar using push notifications, I don’t see any reason to buy such an app. I’m using a very powerful combination of Google calendar and iPhone calendar and this is all anyone needs.

to do iphone application

2. “Battery” apps – that apps showing you all kind of metrics about the battery level, time left for playing games or for browsing the web, etc. These apps have a single but big problem – you have to open the app to see these battery stats. I’m not saying that is not good at all, but I prefer the iPhone native battery level icon so I can see the battery status all the time.

battery iphone application

3. “Web Browser” apps – those “revolutionary” apps coming everyday on Apple Store. I’ve tried two of those and believe me, is nothing really exceptional about. Maybe the “tabs” feature can be interesting but I’m still using all the time the native web browser who’s coming with the iPhone.

web browser iphone application

4. “WI-FI finder” apps – very useless. Why to buy such an app when is clear that if you don’t have WI-FI the app itself cannot detect WI-FI spots? Here I’m talking about iPod Touch and not iPhone of course. If you have an iPhone and a data plan so you can go on internet anytime you want, why you’ll need WI-FI spots anymore? One of the most useless iPhone app ever.

wi-fi finder iphone application

5. “Alarm” or fancy “clocks” apps. Why to buy those apps when iPhone has a built-in alarm app and of course has a watch like any other gadget on the planet?

alarm clock iphone application

6. “Weather” apps. Actually I’ve found a few very interesting in terms of design, I used them for a while but I’ll never get back to them. Is the same reason – iPhone is offering through its Weather app all you want to know about weather. Still I will go maybe for a weather app which supports push notifications when weather changes drastically.

weather iphone application

7. “Notes” apps? No way! iPhone has already a similar app and is doing an excellent job. You can even send emails through iPhone Notes app.

notes iphone application

8. “Music player” apps. Another useless app. Since I can play music on iPhone within its native built-in music app and I can even listen the music in background when open other app, there is no good reason for me to spend money on similar app.

mp3 player iphone application

9. “Email” apps. The native iPhone email application is doing a damn good job, why to buy another similar one? The email built-in app has push notifications and you can add as many email accounts you want. Apple will still have to work a little to improve it but, so far I know, is the best you can get.

email iphone application

10. “RSS reader” apps. This is one of the most wanted iPhone app and in the same time is giving me the biggest frustration because there is no real time RSS reader for iPhone with push notifications. I’ve tried a lot of RSS readers but with no luck. And by the way, you’ll have to pay in extra for any RSS feed you subscribe to. I’m not telling that I’ll not go for a RSS reader with a working real time notifications but since I’m trying to find one for such a long time I just gave up.

RSS reader iphone application

This list can be even much longer but I’ll stop because I just wanted to say that the built-in features, iPhone is coming with, are doing the most of the job. Not saying that you won’t find iPhone apps much better or interesting but you can go for the basics using without any problem only the built-in apps.

You can take it as a challenge and give me a reason to buy any of these. You better have a damn good one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts